Sunday, August 20, 2006

You, Me and Why I Couldn't Cry over "WTC"

Since the computer ate Erich Van Dussen's homework, I'm going to make some confident, educated guesses as to why he didn't like World Trade Center. I'm sure we're on the same page, 'cause I wasn't crazy about it either.
Let me preface this entire argument by saying I have seen both United 93 and WTC. The former is all about the flight of the same name, the fourth and final plane to crash on 9/11, brought down, as we best know, by passengers attempting to wrest control from the terrorists before they could hit their presumed target, D.C.'s Capitol building. The latter is not so much about the collapse of the two World Trade Center towers as it is about two New York Port Authority officers trapped in the rubble and how they helped each other stay awake, and therefore alive, until their rescue.

I saw United 93 in May, with my brother, who is a history teacher and wanted to be able to intelligently communicate the cultural touchpoints with his students. By the end of the film, it was all I could do to keep my sobs (and I do mean sobs) quiet enough so as not to bother others in attendance, many of whom I could hear sniffling and/or quietly weeping nearby. I had brought along a huge wad of tissues -- just in case -- and went through every last one. As the credits were rolling, and I continued to sit there in complete devastation, I remember him patting my shoulder or arm or something, in an attempt to comfort me. It didn't work. On the ride home, I told my brother I could have sat in that theater for another half hour after the screen went dark and sobbed until I was spent. In fact, that is exactly what I would have preferred to do. But I worried that even though the next screening wasn't for several hours, someone might kick me out, or worse, speak to me. So I tried to do the well-mannered thing, and went to the ladies' room to wash my eyes with cold water. I saw another woman in there attempting to do the same. I didn't have to ask what she had just seen because, clearly, it wasn't Pirates of the Caribbean: DMC. We didn't speak. We didn't have to. Personally, I felt words would have tarnished the shared connection.
So when my brother caught an early screening of WTC, he reported back that he was sure I would cry worse than I had at United 93.

He was wrong.

Not only did I not shed a single tear, and not even open a single tissue, (despite being well-prepared again), I left knowing exactly how to describe the film. That's not a good sign when United 93 so completely wrecked me I literally couldn't settle on even one adjective to accurately sum it up. Months later, I'm still not sure how to describe it. Devastating? Incredible? Resonating? Powerful?

And it's not that WTC is a terrible film. Not by any stretch. It's well-made, well-shot, well-written, doesn't run too long, and is probably the closest thing to a "feel-good"
movie that could possibly come out of the horror of the 9/11 attacks. (Did Erich or some other critic say that already?) But here's my bottom line: I don't ever want to feel good about the 9/11 attacks. As one character notes, quoting from, of all things, "G.I. Jane" (Yeah. Go figure.) "Pain is good. It lets you know you're alive." In a similar fashion, I see United 93 as the film version of Darryl Worley's country song "Have You Forgotten?" It's a gut-checking reminder of why American troops are over in the Middle East right now, no matter what people think of exactly how we got there or everything that's happened since. And before anyone descends into a political pit of polarization, back to the films.

Here's what doesn't work in WTC:
To begin with, it's poorly titled. It is only set inside the rubble of the World Trade Center, and because it focuses so narrowly on just the two officers, and by extension their families, and not the thousands of others who died there, titling it World Trade Center is quite misleading. Plus, there's minimal time spent on the towers, the hits they took from the planes or their collapse. My suggestion? "Will to Survive"

Second, there's a lot of distractions. Nicolas Cage's mustache, for starters. (I hate that look on him.) Then, there's his accent. To which I add Mario Bello's accent. (But I loved her haircut: quite motherly, yet still stylish.) Only Michael Pena came across as having a natural accent. But then, why didn't Maggie Gyllenhaal seem to have one at all? (Cute maternity outfit, by the way.) People, when you are sitting in a theater asking yourself these questions as a "big, important" film is playing, it's not a good sign.
By contrast, United 93 had no such problems, not with a cast of complete unknowns, where the only questions to distract you were: Is that the "Let's Roll" guy or the other one? Now, what did I read about him? Oh my word, the military flight headquarters were in Rome, NY? That's practically next door!

Third, is the larger question: What about the film is going to stay with you? What images or lines will be forever imprinted on your brain? The films you can instantly answer that question, those are the keepers ... and I daresay, the ones that, over the years, rise to the top of the "Best of" lists. (Just try it with, say Saving Private Ryan, or Braveheart or Bridge over the River Kwai or Rabbit-Proof Fence. See what I mean?)
Stream-of-consciousness as I left WTC? "That was pretty good. Good themes, strong focus on family and responsibilities and duty and keeping commitments ... the Starsky and Hutch song really broke the tension there ... that Pezzulo guy and the other one was kinda cute, and where have I seen that Marine guy before? Gosh, I'm hungry. Hmm, there's a lady crying. Why am I so unmoved by this? Is there something wrong with me? "

As I left United 93? "I don't ever want to hear that Arabic prayer again. That was so chilling to have it play over the shots of city traffic. I can't believe that was that airline overseer's first day on the job. What a way to start. Oh my word, that couple leaving messages for their kids for where to find their wills? That one lady passing her cell phone to the girl so she could call her Mom to say goodbye? That was awful. I'm not sure I ever want to see this film again ... but I'm never going to forget this."

I believe I have made my point here. (Though I'm sure Erich would have made it in far fewer words. What can I say? I'm a detail girl.) While I won't go so far as to tell you not to waste your money on WTC, I will say, if you have a choice, choose United 93, especially if it is still playing in a second-run theater near you. (I fear some of its power might be lost on a smaller screen, where a remote control would make interruption permissible.)

Beyond that, if you want to see the real World Trade Center movie, rent the documentary 9/11 by French brothers Jules and Gedeon Naudet. It's just as unforgettable as United 93.

Maybe that's the adjective I've been searching for.

No comments: